Monday, March 1, 2010

Silent Spring

I believe that this piece of writing by Rachel Carson really shows how humans are such a big influence towards how the environment operates. Our technological advances are meant to help us and us only. We never take in to account what the consequences are for everything around us. It is evident that in Carson's writing that the birds were severely affected by us. The way that Carson wrote this piece made it even more recognizable. At first, she began talking about how beautiful the world is. She does this to make you feel like this will be an enlightening piece. Then, suddenly, while you are feeling good, she talks about all the negative things that our environment endures. This drastic change makes the reader feel like what is happening is even worse that it really is. I mean, I know it's bad, but it wouldn't be as bad if she hadn't started off by talking about all the beautiful things in the world. For the most part, I feel that Carson has brought up a good point. We, humans, are destroying the environment and all its organisms. We need to make the world a more friendly place for other species, rather than just killing them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment